Sunday, February 5, 2012

Another BIGBY dream story

Hello Everyone!

I'm Max Witynski, like Jesse a new member of this group from Madison.  I must admit that BIGBYing is particularly easy for me because I'm a high school student (at Madison West) with no car!  I tried a BIGBY last year for the first time in Dane County and had a lot of fun, ending up with 153 species.  My highlights included Stilt Sandpiper, Kentucky Warbler and Caspian Tern.  This year is off to a bit of a slow start, but I'm looking forward to being a member of this group and keeping up with others as the year progresses!

Last night I had my first dream involving BIGBYing.  I was on my bike down along University Bay in Madison (which looked slightly different than it does usually) when I spotted a Eurasian Cuckoo in one of the bushes!  I then looked out onto Lake Mendota and saw a solitary Tundra Swan and two coots.  After a bit of scanning I noticed a small fishing boat, and flying over it were two Arctic Terns!  Three other birders then approached.  I asked them what they were doing and they answered in one voice that they were also doing a BIGBY, I told them to keep an eye out for Arctic Terns and then continued down the trail on my bike!

I hope this dream is a foreshadowing of Arctic Terns on Lake Mendota!  If not, Black Terns would be a nice enough find for me!

Good luck to everyone, I hope to meet some of you in the field over the course of the year!

Max Witynski  (Madison, Dane)

No comments: